Thursday, October 4, 2007

Being Busy

I have to confess these past few weeks have been stressful ones. Planning our trip to Alabama, running a home meet, coordinating community service projects have all required a toll. Sometimes I question our sanity as we heap upon our plates more good food than we can possibly eat. Life, liberty and the pursuit of busyness seems to be the new American creed.

But being busy beats being bored. Boredome for me leads to trouble. When I'm bored, I find myself getting into jams as sticky as peanut butter. Busyness, though it can be stressful at times, can - if balanced with other busy pursuits - produce good things.

I'm excited about the closing month of our season. October will bring a long-planned and labored trip to Birmingham, Alabama. We'll race among the best this country has to offer and we'll see the sites that made our school's namesake, Martin Luther King, famous.

At the end of the month, we'll be busy collecting used shoes and money for the homeless in Riverside and the thirsty in Africa.

All good things. All things that take time and work to pull off. Are you busy doing good? Are you busy pursuing noble goals and achievements? I hope so. It's the only busy worth being.

I'd write more, but I've got things to do!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Brad. It makes us examine how busy--really busy--we are. It sounds like all you are doing is keeping you hopping, but also giving you lots of satisfaction. You can sleep at night knowing you did all you could do.

    That said, don't burn out. We need you!

    ReplyDelete