Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Just Another Blog Post

I was watching a movie the other day ... not an especially good one, but it had a good line. The theme of the film was about living a "magical" life, going after your dreams. Living big.

In a conversation one of the characters was having with the protagonist, she recognized him for what he was and said, "So, you're a 'just' person. You can do just so much with your life. This is just toy store. This is just another day." You get the idea. She was critical of his self-imposed limitations.

I think I know now why my last girlfriend reacted the way she did when I said I just wanted to be friends. Ouch.

But that line has stuck with me these past few days. I've asked myself if that word just describes my outlook in life.

Will my marraige be just another marriage?
Will I be just another dad?
Will this be just another season?
Will my profession become just a job?
Will my days be just another clump of hours?

These are convicting questions, for I have to answer truthfully that sometimes that's how I feel. I just want some peace and quite. Just a little taste of mediocrity. Just a day ... or two ... to slack. Just give me a break.

Just a minute. Is this any way to live? I know it's normal, I know that's how most people live. But I don't want that.

Specifically,

I don't want King Cross Country to be just another team...
I don't want our runners to be just another runner...
I don't want this season to be just another ... I think you get the idea.

One of the most blessed moments of our last ten seasons came last summer when Jason Schupp talked to his fellow athletes and confessed that at first he was a bit intimidated or scared of me and the other coaches. But soon he realized he had no reason to fear because he came to realize that the coaches just want us to be our best. I smiled.

Now that's a "just" I can live with. Make that your only use of "just" this season and you'll be well on your way toward a season that just might be something magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment