Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Going the Distance ... Jarod Nocella



It was a revelation to me, just last August on the traditional "senior night" of Mammoth. Given the floor and a few minutes to reflect on his time in cross country, Jarod, like all the other seniors, spoke from the heart, with a passion and sincerity that rocked the evening. Among many things he said that night, the one that jumped out at me was this.

"After my freshman year, I almost quit."

I tried to hide my surprise, but as I considered the words a bit more, I realized that my surprise was a bit misplaced. Given what Jarod has done in his running over the last couple of years, my memory of those early months has understandably been shoved into the darkened corners of history. But I'll admit the words shocked me back to a place that was real, 2 years ago, a place I have happily forgotten about since.

He, like many, joined the team following a social goal. His friends had signed up and somehow managed to roll out of bed in the summer months at the ungodly hour of 5amsomething. He, like many, rubbed the sleep from his eyes and wondered what he had gotten himself into. But by the time he was officially a 9th grader, the ball of XC was rolling and he rolled with it.

His sophomore year presented a challenge however, as several of those he joined up with, quit the team. It was there at that crossroads that he strongly considered walking away too.

We are SO GLAD he didn't. His years have been a steady arc of improvement. He has been a tremendous contributor to the athletic and social health of the team. Here in this senior season, he has all the marks of one of King's finest distance runners ever! He's an absolute beast when he wants to be. He has thrown down some simply stunning performances and has been a rock the team can stand on.

I'm sure most kids consider quitting at some time during their years of running XC. The sport ain't easy. It demands a great amount of discipline and tenacity and sacrifice.

Jarod Nocella -- the one time "almost quitter" -- has done all that the sport requires and has done it well. Without doubt, Jarod's ability to "go the distance" is one of the main reasons King Cross Country is where it's at today.

No comments:

Post a Comment