Friday, July 16, 2010

Butterflies


Well on Monday, we'll be at another starting line. This line represents the beginning of our 12th season as King Cross Country.

I've got a few butterflies. I'll be real.

But are butteflies bad? I've had an athlete or two over the years mention to me before a race that they've got butterflies. They say it like they're confessing sin.

While butterflies can create anxiety and upset your stomach and can even rob you of a good race on occassion, they really aren't anything to be ashamed of. They represent something. Something good.

Butterlfies say you care. They say you want -- really want -- a good outcome to what's lying ahead. They say you recognize the drama of sport. They say you want to do your best and can't stomach the thought of doing less than that.

So I'll admit, as I look at the starting line of next Monday morning, I've got a few butterflies fluttering.

I want this season to be better than last ... which is asking a lot.
I want improvement to happen ... in me.
I want to find out how we'll do in league and in CIF ... always tough challenges.
I want us -- you runners and we coaches -- to do our best ... all season long.

So bring the starting line, butterflies and all! Let's get it going!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Coach. How strange not to be a part of the MLK cc program! Jackie and I wish for you and the whole team a multitude of successes. We'll be rooting for you! Dave

    ReplyDelete