Tuesday, April 1, 2008

"Most Remarkable" in Riverside



I went today to City Hall in d-town Riverside. The council members were honoring "25 of Riverside's Most Remarkable Teenagers". I snuck in and found a last remaining seat just as it started. Seated next to me was Dr. Rainey, the sup of RUSD. Since I had just come from 75 minutes at the dentist, my tongue felt like it was three-times it's size and basically my lower lip wasn't there.


"Good to thee you Doctah Wainey" I said. Fearful she might conclude I was some crazy freak off the street who was missing a few screws, I told her "I teach at King, (that was probably reassuring to her ... did I hire this man?) iths a pleathure to meeth you. I'm thorry, I justh got outh of the dentith chair." She laughed.


I actually wasn't there to see how I'd do in public without control over my speaking skills or salivating glands (I tried to remind myself to slurp every few minutes so as to not be caught with a stalagtite of spit hanging from my chin). I was there to take in one of our own, Patrick Gonzalez, who was being honored by the City Fathers (and a couple of Mothers) as one of Riv-city's remarkable teens.


City leaders can often screw up things, but this time they got it right. Pat was one of 25 teenagers who had incredible accomplishments before they've turned 20. As I listened to their accomplishments I couldn't help but marvel at what young people can do when they make up their minds they want to go "big!" Things like graduate from high school at 14 and compose orchestral music by 19. Like help the poor in Mexico not once, but consistently. Like raise $14,000 by selling home made trinkets to donate to animal shelters. Like decide to NOT join a Riverside gang and instead become an exemplary student.

Or, like come back from a brain tumor and brain surgery to lead your cross country team.

All ... very cool. All, and Patrick especially, very remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment