Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Qualified

I was thinking the other day about my days in elementary school. Though recess was always a beloved time, it held it's share of dangers and demons too. Like when we would line up to "pick teams" for dodgeball or baseball or whatever. I dreaded those times.

Let's just say I wasn't a Michael Jordan or Derek Jeter. I had all the desire of the best of them, but when it came to raw talent, well, I must have been in another line when God handed out the eye-hand-coordination thingy.

Anyway, it was always a good day when I didn't get picked last. Somehow, to be chosen by the "studs" somewhere in the middle of the line of desperate little kids was a victory. In my 9 year old mind, I had qualified for something special. Without ever being told by my playground idols, I had made it! I was going to Hollywood, baby!!!!

Qualified. Made the cut. These are things that make up every athletic endeavor, whether it be third-grade dodgeball or the PGA tour on Friday afternoon, or track and field on Thursday night. Athletes lace on the shoes to find out if they qualify.

We had 7 distance kids qualify for CIF ... one boy named Charlie and six girls. (I'm calling the group this week "Charlie's Angels.") Yea, they groaned, but I'm stickin' with it. I think it's funny! (Maybe it's because I'm the only one that can remember the seventies).

Anyhoo, it's neat to see this group who worked hard all season find satisfaction in qualifying for a track meet that limits who's invited. They had to work hard, but they also had to perform to a certain level on a given day. Not easy! But they did it, and on they go to the races. For a few, there are harbored goals of turning this Saturday's races into another qualifying effort, targeting the opportunity to be counted among the top 9 runners in their event in the entire 120-school division!

Of course, qualification rounds also means some are left behind. But you know, that's ok too. Being picked at the end of the line as often as I did back in the day, though un-fun (is that a word?) at the time, I see now that it added a sense of character to my life and even to this very day skews my view of things in a better direction. So it's not all bad.

Makes you want to work harder to make the cut next time around.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure you're the only one who remembers the 80's too coach. Good to luck to everyone. Hopefully I'll see some of you at CIF Finals.

    ReplyDelete