Monday, June 2, 2008

The German Army


Did you see German Fernandez' State finals races? My goodness. Dyestat's official word was "there are no words." Mine would be "speechless." I don't think I've ever seen anyone on this side of world class run like he did. 4:00 for the 1600 meters, then, 2.5 hours later, 8:34 for 3200 meters. His first mile in the 3200 was 4:18, his second was in 4:15. Both were state records, the 32 was a National record. Both were run "alone" (there were, officially, other guys in both races, but was anyone -- including their own coaches -- watching?) The German army was storm trooping through Cerritos and it was a sight to behold. In events where few can break 4:10 and 9:00, he made very good runners look mediocre.

I had to remind myself he's a high school kid. Other than talent, not much different than you, the high school kid who may be reading this. When asked after his incredible day "what made the difference this season?" his answer was "I ran more last summer." Wow.

If you haven't seen his races yet, go over to these links to see the video. 1600 meters. 3200 meters

No comments:

Post a Comment