Monday, June 9, 2008

Something to think about

Last season we tried to think about and act upon helping others within the larger community. Our "shoe drive" netted over 200 pairs of used shoes which we donated to the homeless of Los Angeles. We raised over $2,000 toward the digging of drinking wells in Africa through BloodWater:Mission.

I came across this quote regarding our charity from the famed English writer, CS Lewis (writer of The Chronicles of Narnia among many other works). It kind of hit me betwee the eyes, as I realized that I've got a long way to go to get to that place in my charity, my giving.

Think of these words as we approach another season and another opportunity to give to others:

“If our expenditure on comforts, luxuries, amusements, etc., is up to the standard common among those with the same income as our own, we are probably giving away too little.

If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things we should like to do and cannot do because our charities expenditure excludes them.” - C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment