Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spoiled ... How Sweet it Is

I have to admit,I'm a bit spoiled. No, not in the traditional sort of way, where I get whatever I want, whenever I want it. I don't throw fits when my way isn't the way, but yea, I'm spoiled.

It dawned on me about dawn this morning. There I was, on the lonely Highway 111 headed toward Palm Springs at 0-dark-100. The eastern horizon went from a low glow to an orange slice, cut only by the dark desert that stretched out before me. My headlights cut an amber v-section out on the pavement. Ahead of me, beyond the high beams, awaited the Palm Springs Half Marathon and assembled there were some 15 teenagers, awaiting the start of the race. To get there on time, most had rolled out of bed before 5:00 am. On a Sunday.

Distance running is not the easiest of sports. I watch some other activities at school where most of those involved seem to do a lot of standing around watching the talented ones actually practice. Our's is a sport that doesn't naturally attract teenagers. Here in SoCal, we're known for chillin' at the mall or hangin' in front of our Xboxes. But get up before the crack of dawn and drive an hour to Palm Springs to run a race? Are you kiddin' me?

But there they were. No kidding. Ready to go, smiles on their morning faces, eager to push themselves. They had formed a number of relay teams, each dividing the 13.1 mile race into thirds. They all raced well. They took home medals and memories.

I took home a sense of spoiledness. How many coaches are as blessed am I? Maybe a bunch, I don't know, but I do know this: I'm enjoying every crack of daylight. Those routine rays shine brightly on what are increasingly good days, filled with uncommon kids, doing uncommon things.

If that ain't spoiled, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

  1. We're pretty spoiled having a coach like you, Brad. Uncommon kids, uncommon coach...a nice combination,if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete