Monday, July 28, 2008

Some Thoughts on Living...




Not to be morbid here, but death has been on my mind of late. As I drove into the school's parking lot this morning, there in the half-light were the flittering flames of memorial candles at the spot where a young boy of King High died over the weekend after crashing his motorcycle against the wall. This weekend we mourned the tragic loss of our pastor's oldest son who died last Thursday in a horrific crash on the 91 freeway while on his way to work. Though we live, we are reminded of death.

I don't like thinking about death really, but it's good to on occasion especially when it's forced upon us. The "untimely" deaths of those around us are like a wake up call to me. So often the days of life blend together and life drones on, like the background noise of the air conditioner in a cheap motel room; you know it's there but you don't pay attention to it. Death causes me to pay attention to life.

As I think about Christopher Laurie's life ending at 33, Austin Allen's at 16, I'm reminded of the fleeting days of our existence. It's an old cliche, but time does fly by. I don't want it to fly by so fast that I miss the living part in the blur of days. As I live, and as I think about the days left for me, I want to live more fully for what matters.

In the end, will it matter...
how many league titles we won?
what my PR for 5K was?
how often we made it to CIF Finals?
if we make it to State? ... or never?
if we have 85 kids on the team or 55?
if we run 50 miles a week?

I hope those things aren't what define me.

I hope my life will be defined by that...
he loved his enemies
he had joy in his struggles
he worked for peace in turbulent days
he practiced patience in trying times
he was kind toward others
he was gentle toward those in need
he practiced self control.

Looking at this list I know I've got a long way to go.

What about you? What are you living for? Post your comments, let's continue the conversation!

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking a lot about death latley as well and it makes me want to live life to the fullest! John 10:10b: The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I hope people see me as a person who lives life to the full and a person who lives for Jesus! At the beach the other day Coach Peters asked me what makes me sad, and i didn't really answer, but these kinds of tradgedies make me sad and remind me of how important it is to tell the world about Jesus because you don't know when you will pass away and some don't know where you will go afterwards. Also, the world makes me sad because i see people who don't live life to the full and some take advantage of their life here on earth. Jesus says were supposed to live in the world, not of the world so lets do just that! I hope everybody reads this comment and i hope it makes you think.

    ReplyDelete